Assignment 11A- Idea Napkin No. 1
- You
My name is Jeannette, and I am a second-year business administration major with an area of specialization in Travel & Tourism Management. I'm really involved with the international business programs and Hispanic Student Association, as well as a job at the UF Computing Help Desk. My involvements have allowed me to gain significant experience in hospitality and event planning, which is what I hope to have an occupation in in the future, and I feel it has allowed me to better understand a client's needs and how to solve that opportunity. Specifically, students that are first-generation and from communities of color, which is why I chose to focus on designing a student-run apartment complex close to campus that is affordable and has excellent living conditions. I know that a living situation, such as the one I'm proposing, would be of great interest to me and most of my friend groups, and can be something that can be implemented for the long run. - What Are You Offering To Customers?
I am offering a housing system close to the University of Florida's campus (and potentially other campuses across the nation) that allows students to pay discounted rent in exchange for weekly chores/roles of responsibility. This will ultimately result in lower rent costs as students wont need to pay for certain maintenance services, and could possibly even partner with apartment complexes nearby for access to their amenities at a reduced cost for students who would like to purchase it. - Who Are You Offering It To?
I am mainly offering my product to low-income, first-generation students enrolled in both undergraduate and graduate courses, as well as any student interested in living in off-campus housing. This housing establishment will mainly be marketed to students of color, but is open to any student experiencing financial constraints. - Why Do They Care?
I specifically wanted to highlight students who do not have the luxury of not taking rent price into account when searching for housing. I believe students should not feel they have to resort to on-campus or dirty off-campus housing just because of their family financial situation, and therefore should be able to experience decent living options walking distance to campus in case they also cannot afford transportation to class. - What Are Your Core Competencies?
I believe my whole idea in general is what sets me apart from other competitors. While I do understand there is much competition in the housing market, especially for the limited housing options available that are close to campus, none of them cater to the demographic group I am marketing this towards, and I have yet to see housing options that incorporate all of the elements I am proposing. Being a student in the position of my target group, I can understand on a personal level what students in different minority groups are looking for and how limited their housing options are due to different financial constraints. Furthermore, students living in this kind of housing can gain experience in many different skill sets, depending on their assigned chore for the week.
For the most part, I believe my elements fit together nicely to create a successful business concept that will aid thousands of students across the country. My only concern would be that some students would like to avoid having "chores" or responsibilities, and instead opt to live on campus or somewhere farther off-campus. However, with proper advertising and a thorough explanation of the benefits of this housing establishment, I think there would be a large community of students interested in my business concept and more than willing to provide a small service a week to have comfortable, affordable, and close living options to campus.
Hi Jeannette. I think that this idea that you have is really a great idea. I certainly believe that these reduced rent apartments would gather the attention from a variety of people. My only concern is, in order for it to be a housing complex with appropriate codes and livable conditions, there has to be some sort of steady way to be able to pay for unexpected and variable costs that tend to arise throughout the course of the apartments life span.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a great idea to offer this to low income students or first generation college students who don't have family and relative to rely on for financial help. And I do think your idea is different from others because it's aimed at helping people instead of making a profit.
ReplyDelete