Assignment 16A- What's Your Secret Sauce?
5 ways I have unique human capital:
- Kind: Kindness is one of my biggest values in life, and I actively try harder everyday to practice it as much as I can. In life, begin kind can get you many places and connections (although you should always be kind just to be kind) and you should always want people to remember you in a positive light. Aside from being short, saying I'm very kind is one of the most common ways people describe me!
- Open-Minded: I take pride in the fact that I am very open-minded. Although I may get overwhelmed at times, I handle change very well and am willing to accommodate to things as necessary. I'm also a person who makes sure everyone is being heard, and all people's opinions can be taken into consideration before making a decision, and I think this is very helpful in a workplace where there may be a lot of diversity.
- Fast Learner: As mentioned earlier, I am very open to change and learning new ways to do/improve things. This also takes the ability to learn quickly and be able to accommodate fast, which I have been complimented on many times. I don't like to give up easily, so every time I have to learn something new, I take it as a challenge and try my best to really focus on learning the procedure to things.
- Collaborative: I believe I have great teamwork skills, and therefore makes it easy for me to be collaborative with my colleagues. I feel this is a very important quality to have nowadays, and it seems to be one of the biggest qualities recruiters look for in candidates. In a work environment especially, this would come in handy.
- Empathetic: Lastly, I believe I am very empathetic and can handle other people's emotions very well. I have been told on multiple occasions that my emotional intelligence is very high, and I'm very easy to have a conversation with. This leads to a strong, solid relationship with people that involves open communication, which is very important.
Interviews
Interview 1 (Brother): "Your most unique skills I think are empathy, sense of humor, and leadership skills. I'd say they're all at a higher level than the average person."
Interview 2 (Friend/Roommate): "It's hard to say what your best quality is, but probably kind or generous. You're a genuinely good person and would make a great boss someday"
Interview 3 (Coworker): "You always come through for people! You picked up the last part of my shift when I really needed it, and didn't leave me hanging like you-know-who did last time (lol). You're very reliable"
Interview 4 (Classmate): "I would say you're very intelligent on an academic level, but in general, your niceness is what sets you apart. I felt very comfortable being in class with you and you helped me out so many times!"
Interview 5 (Mother): "While I think you're the best person in the world, I'd have to say you're extremely responsible when it comes to your school, work, and self-discipline. You always keep your word with people and get things done without being asked"
Reflection
I found all the answers to be heartwarming, but mainly accurate. It was nice to know I am perceived in such a positive light, but also that these qualities can be used to improve my human capital. I think I definitely view myself in a different way than people on the outside view me, mainly because I know what my weaknesses are and where I can improve on as a person. I don't think I would change my list, because I know those are my main strengths as of now, but I would like to improve on other areas to hopefully continue updating it in the future
Hey Jeanette,
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to read about what you felt some of your good qualities were, and I saw that we had a few of the same! I too am open-minded especially in the aspects of learning and trying new things. I also think from reading your post it shows a lot about how well you know yourself. Not only were the qualities you listed similar to what people said about you, but you also made note that you know what areas you could improve on. I think that in itself is an important quality to have.
Hi Jeanette,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading about your qualities! I think open-mindedness is an attribute that is very important, but often over-looked. Open-mindedness can help you get along with a bunch of different people and experience many different adventures. I think the more open-minded you are, the more unique and diverse and (and rewarding!) your life will be. I also noticed that you talked about empathy. I've always struggled with showing empathy, and my mom tried to teach me that this is very important in a person, so I liked reading your perspective about it.
I also think open-mindedness is something that is very unique and not often found in people today. Many people aren't open to the possibility that they could be wrong, or that their beliefs might not be right so I think that's a great quality to have!
ReplyDelete