Assignment 6A- Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends
1. Economic Trend: Subway is laying off
workers in attempt to streamline operations
Ø A. Source: https://www.ibtimes.com/subway-layoffs-2020-300-employees-cuts-sandwich-chain-looks-streamline-operations-2917068
Ø B. I believe there is an opportunity
that exists for Subway to recover from its most recent financial pinch, without
having to lay off the number of workers they are currently letting go
Ø C. Prototypical Customer: Subway managers
who let go of employees in the 2,200 locations that closed within the past year
Ø D. Easy or Difficult: The opportunity
would be relatively difficult due to the scale of the problem and the time it would
take to reemploy all those who were let off
Ø Why did I see the opportunity: I
found this as an opportunity because as someone who has family that has been affected
by a company going through an economic dip, I have seen the way it has affected
families firsthand and have thought of other solutions to the problem without
needing to affect someone’s way of receiving income
2. Economic Trend: Aviation is not the
enemy in the climate battle
Ø A. Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51364103
Ø B. I believe there exists an opportunity to cut down on gas emissions and contributions to climate change without targeting only air travel
Ø C. Prototypical Customer: Everyone is affected by the growing rate of gas and carbon emissions
Ø D. Easy or Difficult: It would be relatively easy given that the movement to be sustainable is pretty fresh and most people already try being sustainable
Ø Why did I see the opportunity: As someone who likes to actively protect the environment and be sustainable (recycling, using reusable utensils, etc), I often try to find new ways to be green and encourage others to do the same, so when it comes to pollution, I am constantly thinking of ways our society can be more environmentally friendly
3. Regulatory Trend:
Ø B. I believe there exists an opportunity to allow Uber to test self-driving cars without putting the pedestrians of major cities at risk of being hit and killed, as previously happened
Ø C. Prototypical Customer: Pedestrians in California
Ø D. Easy or Difficult: This would be relatively easy to implement as they could do their tests off-major roads or in designated routes that pedestrians dont take
Ø Why did I see the opportunity: Technology, in my opinion, is advancing at a scary rate and I like to find ways to be sufficient on my own without the use of technology. Therefore, its important to find ways to not rely solely on technology and Uber should be something that is manually driven, not relied on by the technology of cars
4. Regulatory Trend:
Ø B. I believe there exists an opportunity to contain this virus better than the current situation. I think it's possible to make better efforts to quarantine communities and implement a worldwide hold on international travel
Ø C. Prototypical Customer: Those worldwide affected by the coronavirus
Ø D. Easy or Difficult: This would be relatively difficult to implement given the size and scale of the problem (worldwide)
Ø Why did I see the opportunity: I saw the opportunity because I have international family who have been affected by diseases in low-income communities and cannot access a hospital. By making better efforts to contain the virus, those who cannot afford to be seen by health professionals have a lesser chance of being affected
Hey Jeanette,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post and found some stuff really interesting. Firstly the trend about aviation and climate control, I agree there are a wide variety of things that contribute to climate change. Targeting flights is not effective nor is it going to be very practical, people are not going to give up flights, and the last thing we want is even more people on planes. I also found the Uber thing pretty interesting, but I'm wondering how that's gunna work and how much more liable they could be. I personally am not a big fan of this opportunity either.
I think the regulatory trend with Uber would be a great idea in terms of safety for pedestrians and users of Uber, but it would also put many Uber drivers out of business because of increased competition. I would definitely like to see how it would work though and if Uber would charge more for self-driving cars, and if so then how much more.
ReplyDelete