Friday, February 7, 2020

Assignment 8A- Solving the Problem

Assignment 8A- Solving The Problem

Opportunity: There is no affordable student housing near campus that doesn't involve giving something up (upgraded/clean units, expensive rent, amenities, etc.) in exchange for location

Solution: I believe there should be more apartment complex companies entering the market for Gainesville student housing. Furthermore, I think it would be convenient to have student-run or recent graduate-run housing units in the UF campus area since students know and can relate to the struggles low-income college students face. Even hostel-style housing that can house students for at least a year would be more convenient than having to pay all the fees associated with renting an apartment or house near campus.

3 comments:

  1. I think that is a really good idea! I feel like you shouldn't have to give up having a clean/well running apartment in order to be able to afford your rent. It's sad that in today's economy something as simple as a clean apartment is considered to be a "luxury" that you have to pay more for. I would definitely love to see more affordable student housing near campus that are clean/well running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the student-run units is a great idea for this. The issue isn't the lack of apartments, it's the lack of affordable nice ones, due to the companies running them wanting to maximize their profits. Something ran by students could help keep the costs down, and keep the place nice because they can relate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you have come up with an excellent solution to to the problem that you have located! A graduate student run complex would be extremely beneficial for many reasons. Most graduate students have lived in college housing themselves and understand what other students are looking for. Additionally, having a complex run by graduate students would likely result in lower management costs, which would in turn present the opportunity to charge lower rents. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete