Thursday, April 9, 2020

Assignment 23A- Your Venture's Unfair Advantage

Assignment 23A- Your Venture's Unfair Advantage

  1. (Human Capital) Empathy
    Valuable: A lot of students find it difficult to communicate their concerns to adults and may find it intimidating. My empathy allows me to understand their needs and see where they are coming from in their worries
    Rare: To an extent, since there are empathetic people but not many are found within this market
    Imitable: While people could mimic my idea to manage an apartment complex, the logistics of my business idea would be difficult to replicate many times in the same area. However, they can be imitated by student
    Non-suitable: Other potential resources would be other apartment complexes, but they couldn't help my target group the way I would be able to
  2. Affordability of my product
    Valuable: This is one of the first things most people look for when they're making a purchase decision
    Rare: Not many housing units close to campus are within the middle class income budget,
    Imitable: This could be easily copied
    Non-suitable: This preference for a housing unit could be replaced with other preferences
  3. Productivity within residents
    Valuable: This is valuable for the experience and resume builder they can use on applications
    Rare: No other apartment complex compensates their residents in rent through labor
    Imitable: With the proper budgeting adjustments, this wouldn't be too difficult to copy
    Non-suitable: There are other ways to lower rent costs
  4. Innovation
    Valuable: It's very difficult to come up with a "new" idea nowadays so it is valuable
    Rare: Innovation is equivalent to rarity
    Imitable: It can be but it would take time because it has never been done before
    Non-suitable: there are no other resources that can provide the same benefits
  5. Partnership with other complexes
    Valuable: This will allow residents to not need to pay so much to cover for maintenance costs since they will be sharing staff from other complexes
    Rare: not rare, many complexes form partnerships often
    Imitable: Very easily imitable
    Non-suitable: Proper government funding would allow the complex to not need to partner with other ones
  6. Accessibility for all
    Valuable: This is valuable because some resident halls, for example, are limited to the type of students that can house themselves there
    Rare: Not very rare, this is a common characteristic of most apartment complexes and dorms
    Imitable: Because it is already common, it is imitable
    Non-suitable: This can be replaced with restrictions on the types of students that are accepted to live in the apartment complex
  7. (Human Capital) Having taken LEI3301
    Valuable: This has given me so must insight into the hospitality industry that I'm confident I would be able to have this business plan run successfully
    Rare: This course is limited in the people that can take it so it's somewhat rare
    Imitable: This course is easily imitable
    Non-suitable: There are more advanced courses that can teach me more about the industry
  8. (Human Capital) Open-minded
    Valuable: By being open minded, I am very open to accepting criticism and the ideas of others to incorporate them into designs
    Rare: It is not rare
    Imitable: Being open-minded is a mindset and if you don't possess the ability to be this way, it is difficult to train yourself to be
    Non-suitable: Being very liberal in ideas is somewhat similar to being open-minded and produces similar results in leadership
  9. Diversity
    Valuable: This would look great on resumes for residents that contribute to the chore work and would be eligible to receive more funding
    Rare: To my knowledge, the diversity of the student-housed residents depends on the amount of diversity within the college
    Imitable: It can be imitated by changing the demographic of your target audience
    Non-suitable: No other resources that can provide the same benefits
  10. (Human Capital) Connections
    Valuable: This will give me an advantage in the field and will give me a lift in my position in this market
    Rare: Many people have connections, however it's a matter of the right connections that are rare
    Imitable: It is easy to reach out and network to make connections so yes, it is easily imitable
    Non-suitable: If someone can network for your company, you dont have to be the one to possess this human capital to benefit your company
After completing this exercise, I can see that my top resource is probably my connections. Because I actually have contact with people who are experts in the field I would be entering, I could get firsthand insight on what management methods would need to be changed and if any ideas I would have for my business design are proven to be faulty. As much as I can say these resources of mine give me an advantage, they dont really have any use unless a business expert (such as the one I have connections to) tells me they can be used

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeannette,
    I liked how your post included many human capital resources. I agree that the connections you have made so far will be extremely valuable, and the relationships you build using this network of connections will expand your business and future opportunities. Empathy and openness, in my opinion, rank among the most valuable resources. Use these to attract customers and build solid relationships with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeannette,
    I think your concept has a lot of valuable resources. I think having connections is a very valuable and important resource to have as well. This type of resource can help you in so many ways, whether it be with the start up of your business or even throughout its life. I also put my connections/partnerships for my most valuable resource in my business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a lot of great assets to your business venture! It's so important to have something affordable and something that people will want to use! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete