Assignment 21A- Reading Reflection No. 2
Book: How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams
- What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme of the book was that failure is not truly "failure", because you can take what you learned from those experiences and emerge stronger from them. - How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
For me, this book made me feel a lot better about the many times I got stuck on an assignment or couldn't think of an idea for my business plan. This book emphasized the concept that it's okay and even necessary to experience failure in order to succeed again through other means. We learn a lot in this class similar values, and that its encouraged to be unique with our creations and focuses on innovation. Similarly, the author Scott Adams explains these concepts and that we should give credit where credit is due. - If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
If I had to design an exercise based on the book, I would have students make a collection of skills they have based on what other people say (people that are close enough with them or have worked with them on a project) and another collection of skills other people say they can work on. For the first list, they would explain why those are their strongest skills and what led them to excel in them. For the second list, I would have them address how they can improve on their weaker skills and an example of someone they know that exhibits mastery in the skill. This would help students reflect on their "failures" and how there is actually a way to be successful from them. Also, it would allow them to praise themselves on what skills they do master and give them perspective on how they are still successful despite obstacles they face. - What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
If I had to pick an "aha" moment from the book, I think it would be Scott Adams addressing that knowledge is more significant than willpower when it comes to being healthy. While some people would agree that strong willpower will push them to keep going when trying to be healthy, Scott argues that the knowledge of how your body works without comparing it to others is the key to being healthy. This is also great advice to implement in your daily life!
Hi Jeannette,
ReplyDeleteI also read this book for this assignment, and I really enjoyed it. I really like how you said the book emphasized how necessary it is to fail, but it really did. The book made me a lot more at ease with the concept of failure, and actually taught me the benefits and even importance of it. We had kind of similar exercises for the class based on this book as well, both of us included a list of skills.
I loved this book because it gave a new perspective on what it meant to fail and how failing can actually help you. And you're right, this book makes us realize that failing is essential in life and essential to us succeeding in life.
ReplyDelete